Miss Ya B :(

Monday, December 29, 2008

I've tried to post this a couple of times over the weekend but honestly the words just didn't come, the time wasn't right. After a day or so has passed I feel able to put some words here in memory of my design team member, fellow scrapbooker, and most of all my friend... Beverley Todd, who I simply called B.

December 23rd Beverley suffered a brain hemorrhage, which turned into a massive stroke. She was rushed to hospital and died on the 24th. In keeping with Beverley's caring and giving nature her family donated her organs, knowing that she gave some families hope and happiness this Christmas really uplifts me, and helps deal with the loss.

It's been almost exactly a year that Beverley has been on my card sketch team. I remember her application email vividly as she jokingly threatened to cease making cards altogether if she didn't make it, and that would be my fault, lol. That was Beverley always making light of situations, injecting humor and making you smile. After a few emails back and forth over the next month, it became apparent that we were alike in so many ways. She'd email to pick my brains regarding design teams or scrapbooking, we'd end up veering off topic and discussing other things and found we shared so many common interests.

When I started
my green/gardening blog earlier this year I thought no-one would visit, but there was B encouraging me. She told me that she was also doing her bit for the environment, that she wanted to grow vegetables, live more sustainably, and she eventually started her own blog to document her own journey. It's strange to think that cardmaking brought us together yet so much more made us friends!

We were forever bouncing idea's off each other regarding green living, gardening, our dreams of living on a little small holding where we could live off the land, be sustainable with solar panels etc, and even though we lived 8000 miles apart we shared the same dreams, the same passion and the same drive.

We were both vegetarians which meant we should have shared recipes, only she didn't like foods too spicy/hot, and for me, the spicier the better =) I'd call her a wuss and she reply with some remark which would have us both rolling about laughing. Her sense of humor just had me cracking up every time!

I'll miss her emails every week, with her latest creations. She'd email me with her cards telling me that I was either awesome/evil depending on whether she'd struggled with the sketch or not, lol. She just had a way of lighting up the conversation, and I so looked forward to her emails. You could always be guaranteed of some witty comment :)

I thought I'd share again her card from mid-December. When she emailed this she told me she was taking a couple of weeks off from the sketches to tend to family stuff, which at this time of year is understandable. Little did I know that this would be the last email I'd receive from her :(

"warm wishes" by Beverley Todd

My thoughts go out to her family, especially her husband Adam and her four boys. I am so sorry for your loss. B will be deeply missed by all who knew her in the crafting community. I personally will miss her terribly, but I am thankful that I knew her, thankful that we shared so much in common, and thankful that I was able to call her a friend.

Miss ya B!



D

21 comments:

Nancywithajones December 29, 2008 at 1:57 PM  

This is beautiful Di. You are so right. She always made you feel better no matter what the conversation was. she always had a way of making you totally crack up. I love that card. I will never forget her. She kinda reminded me of you Maybe that is why I liked her so much hehe.
I love ya girl and we will get through this together. as we get through everything. jsut feels weird with out bevvy!

Deanne Clarke December 29, 2008 at 2:25 PM  

A beautiful tribute, Di for a wonderful gal!!!

She did have a way of being silly :O)

When she emailed me for a couple of weeks off because of her stepfather being in the hospital, she said "Please don't throw me the team" and she would always sign her emails with "B xx"

and what an awesome scrapper and cardmaker! She so loved that!

Did you see in her profile the question is "The squish of mud between your toes; how would you live your life as a frog?"
Her answer is "Do frogs scrapbook??" So like her to come up with a silly answer like that!

Her family has been on my mind ever since I got the email on Christmas day and my heart hurts for them. They are in my prayers.

Hazel December 29, 2008 at 3:08 PM  

I am so shocked and saddened to read this - thanks for penning your tribute to Beverley. My heart goes out to her husband and boys.

Lisa Fulmer December 29, 2008 at 3:58 PM  

Thank you for this lovely tribute! I only knew Beverley "virtually" for a few months, but she was one of my first blog followers and she was very encouraging of me as I was starting my blog.

She was also part of the DT where I work - I posted something about her here

Lisa Fulmer Bruce

Pearl December 29, 2008 at 7:11 PM  

So sorry to hear this , Di ! So sorry for your loss !

Anonymous,  December 29, 2008 at 9:59 PM  

Thank you Di and everyone else. I appreciate your expessions of grief at her passing. She has left a big gap here.

Frederick Denny, her father.

It seems that I must post as anon. cannot work this otherwise

jo December 30, 2008 at 1:20 AM  

So very sad Di but what a great tribute. I didn't know Bev personally but will miss seeing her cards every week.
Thinking of her friends and family xxx

Looby December 30, 2008 at 1:55 AM  

What a beautiful tribute Di - you've encapsulated perfectly what a fun and vibrant character she was. I still can't believe this is true - life is so damn unfair and cruel.

Thinking of all her family at this sad time, especially little fish.

xxxxx

Anonymous,  December 30, 2008 at 5:56 AM  

Was really sad last night when you told me about B, what with all that I have wrong with me there is still other people that is worse off and I feel really sorry for her family especially at this time of year too, was a nice thing what they did in donating her organs, its people like them that could give me a few more years to my life, so I say a BIG THANK YOU too all of B's family

Anonymous,  December 30, 2008 at 6:06 AM  

I'm so sorry for your loss, Di and for her family. But what a beautiful tribute you have written for your friend. I'm sure you will carry her spirit forward after being so lucky to have known her. Nancy Jo

Renee' Morris-Dezember December 30, 2008 at 7:24 AM  

Di you wrote a very beautiful tribute...my heart now just aches for you, all her friends and especially her family. I did not know her other then from your blog and she had a gift to make beautiful cards...she will be missed by many.

Andrea December 30, 2008 at 7:32 AM  

So sorry to hear about your friend Di xx

Unknown December 30, 2008 at 10:11 AM  

Oh how sad! Made so much worse by the time of year. I'm sending hugs to her family, and also to you, Di.

I've remained a visitor since I was fortunate enought to be your guest designer in February, but my own health issues have seen me take a back seat in so many things. Less computer time = more rest.

Lots of love,


Rosie
xx

Anonymous,  December 30, 2008 at 2:35 PM  

Goodnight Beverley, my thoughts are with your family and I shall remember your inspirational work. Thanks for this lovely tribute Di xx

Anonymous,  December 30, 2008 at 8:29 PM  

Di this is a wonderful tribute to a wonderful friend. Even though you & Beverley never met I know that she felt much as you did about how alike you were. She was just the vibrant fun loving person you describe and we all are richer for having known her. Like you I will miss her so much. Jane

Unknown December 31, 2008 at 6:00 AM  

What a wonderful tribute! So sorry to hear of Beverley's passing. Praying for her family.

Lyzzydee December 31, 2008 at 5:47 PM  

Di, I am so sorry for your loss, I did not klnow her personally but I can empathise with your loss and that of her family. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you
xx

Claire Mackaness January 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

A fitting tribute to a fab friend.

Fab January 3, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

Hi Di thank you for portraying Beverley so well. I met Beverley online nearly three years ago when she was the HOTP personal shopper kit importer for the UK. Since we were both mad for Hot Off the Press, I proposed to help her with her websites. Exchanging emails daily we reached a lovely rapport and I felt like I knew her all my life. Regrettably after a couple of years I couldn't help her anymore because of my mental illness as it was getting too much for me but we kept in touch and if she needed online help I always lent a hand. She was so bubbly and always cheered me up when I was in my blue phases. I, too, had to wait before leaving a comment on her blog and on yours, Di. I was so happy for her that she went into a new direction with her DT gigs leaving the retail side behind, she had a wonderful passion for creating new combination of colours and layouts. When I got an email telling me of her passing (thank you Auntie Jane) I just came across some ATC she made for a swap whilst tidying up my craft corner...maybe it was her way of saying goodbye to me ! Thank you Di for your lovely picture of her character, completely spot on. I will miss you 'guv' ! Love Fab

Karen Brooks January 4, 2009 at 3:05 PM  

Di you have created a beautiful and touching tribute to a talented and wonderful woman. I was not personally close to Beverley but I was a mutual design team with her and always looked forward to her creations and stalked her blog to ooh and aah over her work. She will be missed something fierce in the scrapping world but I am sure she has scissors and adhesive in hand making her new place just as pleasant and creative!

jay670120 January 12, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

I was a DT member for her blog . I only knew of her for a few months we called her 'The GUV' She was friendly ,helpful , funny and inspirational . This is a big shock to me .
Thi post is lovely and just had to comment too x
jayne loughlin

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com