Holiday cardmaking on a budget!

Friday, December 8, 2006

My article for the December Newlsetter @ Treasures To Scrap!

Holiday Cardmaking

Ever since I began scrapbooking I've used my scrapbook supplies for making cards for all occassions. Its seems only natural when I have these things in my stash, and it saves $$ spent on store bought cards! Now, I like all the new scrapbook products as much as the next person, but making 50+ cards for the holidays can get expensive, and honestly I prefer I to save the "good stuff" for my layouts. So I'm sharing some of my frugal holiday cardmaking tips!

After Christmas all the stores put the wrapping supplies on sale! No its not going to help NOW but think on for next year! This is a great time to stock up. Not only for wrapping next years presents but also for making next years cards. I'm talking about the packages of gift tags! Usually in packages of 12. They have regular square fold opening, circles, metal rimmed, embossed, and so much more! Just think of all those card accents for next year! You can use your favorite holiday patterned paper and just add a gift tag!

I made this card with a regular store bought gift tag that has an epoxy style embellishment, it even still opens! I added some ribbon, double mounted it on co-ordinating cardstock, added a rub-on sentiment then mounted it onto the card and some color co-ordinating patterned paper and called it done. But you could make it much more... The tags I bought in the post holiday sales, and they cost about 7 cents each! This gives me more money to spend on the rub-ons and new patterned papers!

So after Christmas remember to look for those bargains in the gift wrapping section! Remember this isn't limited to gift tags! Envelope seals work well too as main accents. Gift wrap can be used instead of patterned paper. The metallic ribbon used to wrap gifts can be used in place of regular ribbon. The gift boxes could be used in a die cut machine for thicker chipboard style accents. The possiblities are endless!

Supplies: DCWV pp + cardstock; Offray ribbon; tag from target; scrapease rubon;

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com