Tutorial Tuesday - Ribbon Storage

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

If you know me well, you'll know I'm a vegetarian and I love to reduce, reuse and recycle. I am a thrifty crafter and proud of it. I've pretty much always been that way. So I thought I'd start a series of GREEN posts. Recycled projects, tips on saving money, stretching the budget, reusing stuff, etc.

I was browsing the web recently and came across a link for these: ribbon rings. I though, "Wow, these could work for me" as I'd been looking for a way to store my loose ribbon for a while. THEN I thought, "hey, I could probably MAKE these"!!! And the rest, as they say, is history!


Make your own ribbon rings tags for ribbon storage


Materials:
  • Clear plastic (I used packaging plastic. These pieces here were Heidi Swapp packaging);
  • Scissors;
  • corner rounder;
  • 1/4" hole punch;
  • rectangle punch (you know you have this somewhere! I dug mine out from the closet, top shelf);
  • Sharpie or other permanent marker;

1. Naturally as with any project that requires multiples - MAKE A TEMPLATE! I did this one from thick cardboard (which you could use instead of the clear plastic.
I will say that for SHEER ribbon I'd make them out of cardboard/chipboard. I think the sheer ribbons may snag on the plastic when punched.). Mine measures 2" high x 1.5" wide. The punched parts I eyeballed. Once your template is made, trace around the shape using Sharpie.



2. Using scissors (don't use your best scissors!) trim around the edges. You could use a paper trimmer but scissors work fine for this small size. And I think cutting the plastic would dull the blade, hence use old scissors.



3. Round the corners using a corner rounder punch. I was surprised how easy this was!!! Maybe it would depend on the thickness of the plastic but this was easily thin enough to punch. (do this over a trash bin, and wear eye protection! - trust me those bits fly EVERYWHERE!)



4. Punch hole in top of the tag. Simple enough, yet tougher than the corners! I found it best to wear rubber gloves, to give me more leverage on the punch. Probably easier with Cropodile? (I think I'm the only crafter in the Universe without one. I simply refuse to buy one when I have tools that already do the same job. See, frugal!)


5. Ok this part takes some time. Depending on the width you want for your ribbon to thread through, punch the rectangles.
On mine the "holes" are 7/8") so I needed to punch 3 rectangles across for each 'hole'. Start at one edge and punch, move in to centre as far as you can (slightly overlapping) and punch again. (again, do this over a trash bin and wear eye protection!)


You should have TWO punches on one side, and the tag should look like this




6. Flip the tag over and punch the opposite side, lining up the punch with previous 'holes'.


7. VOILA! The tag is done. Thread your ribbon through, put on a ring and you have your own ribbon rings for zero $$!


8. Repeat making as many as you need. Slip the rings onto a loose binder ring, hang on a hook and display in your scraproom! This is my first set hanging to the left of my scrap table. I plan on adding more to this ring (I also have bigger rings - bought from dollar tree), and putting another hook or two along the wall. Definitely helps to SEE your ribbon. Plus I can write the manufacturer of the ribbon on the tags!


Now this isn't to say mine are as nice or neat as the pre-made ones, and yes they do take some time to make (especially considering I need a TON of these! But I made 12 in about 20 mins, assembly line style). But for me the FREE factor far outweighs all that. Plus I'm reusing, recycling, and reducing landfill waste!

More Green money saving tutorials coming soon!

hugs

Di

19 comments:

Nancywithajones April 8, 2008 at 9:38 AM  

THIS ROCKS WOMAN!!!your so efficient. I KNEW there was a way we could make these and not have to spend all our much needed scrappin cash on storage hahhaha

Julia April 8, 2008 at 12:56 PM  

What a fantastic idea, I will have to look around for bits and pieces to have a go at those. Hope your hand is improving.

Anonymous,  April 8, 2008 at 9:52 PM  

Hi Di,

I'm all for the three R's. I always try to find various uses for packaging material.I refuse to buy a cropadile too. Very frugal, me too. I'm glad to know that people like me exist in this world. I KNOW that what I do is right. Priya

Anice April 8, 2008 at 11:40 PM  

Thanks for this Di..I had a delivery of ribbon just yesterday and I thought..'I'm going to have to buy some of those ribbon hangers' not anymore! You're a star.
Anice xx

Carolyn Mcavoy April 9, 2008 at 1:58 AM  

That is way cool...I know I was saving my plastic for something...gigles...Now I have...Go green..

Beverley Todd April 9, 2008 at 4:52 AM  

Fabulous idea Di!! Lovin' the first green tutorial & looking forward to many more!! Makes me feel better about my paper consumption! LOL

Tasha April 9, 2008 at 6:06 AM  

This is brilliant! Thanks for the idea/tutorial. Go Green!

Kerryn April 9, 2008 at 9:25 AM  

di what a fantasic idea!! i'll have to have a go at that!

Anonymous,  April 9, 2008 at 1:05 PM  

i actually do not have a rectangle punch, but i can use a craft knife! i am so going to do this! i have so many of those plastics just sitting because i knew they would come in handy somewhere. thanks!

Anonymous,  April 10, 2008 at 6:06 PM  

Love this idea! Thanks so much for sharing. I may try to design a template with my Cricut Design Studio.

Anonymous,  April 12, 2008 at 11:40 AM  

Wonderful tutorial, thanks for sharing! I have been needing a new way to store my ribbon!

Pascallle April 12, 2008 at 11:43 AM  

this is a very good idea !

thnaks for sharing :-)

Pascallle April 12, 2008 at 11:43 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs Frizz April 12, 2008 at 2:49 PM  

What an absolutely fabbo idea ... most impressed ... thank you so very much for sharing.

Anonymous,  April 12, 2008 at 10:47 PM  

I own the proper ones but even though I bought 100 they have all been used. Now I can make them as I need them. I do feel sorry for those of you starting from scratch. I think some gloves are definately in order.
Leanne

Lissa Ballard April 13, 2008 at 1:39 PM  

Wonderful tutorial Di!

Thanks for sharing it!

JenBalding April 13, 2008 at 9:15 PM  

Di, I hadn't seen these ribbon rings (but I did finally buy a cropadile! :) ) but I've been thinking "that stupid little ribbon iron I'm gonna have to buy cause I can't keep my ribbon flat" great idea and thanks

Lyn S April 17, 2008 at 3:36 AM  

Thanks so much for your tutorial Di, I've just finished making a heap of these! I hope you don't mind, but I've posted a link to it on my blog.

ps. I have a crop-o-dile and it is easy-peasy to use on the acrylic pieces!

Mardi March 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

You rock! I thought the same thing when I orignially saw this ribbon storage on the websites. I know that these can be made. I am also going to post this on my blog! Thank you so much for saving me some green!!!!

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com