Tutorial Tues - train photo frame

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I did a step by step project similar to this last month, but I've had to remove that for publication *smile* so here is something along the same lines, but IMO cuter! lol.

Materials:
  • Wooden Frame - Dollartree
  • Acrylic Paint - MM
  • patterned paper - one heart... one mind
  • cardstock - DCWV
  • acrylic shapes - one heart... one mind
  • Strong adhesive - UHU: twist & glue; Creativ adhesive;
  • Pencil
  • sanding block
  • scissors/craft knife

Step 1. As always with any wooden item, sand down the project first to ensure there are no rough edges, then paint with acrylic paint. On this frame I painted the edges and the back, but left the front as I'd be applying paper to it (saves paint and time).


Step 2. Lay shape over patterned paper and trace with pencil. Repeat for both pieces. Cut out shapes and adhere to wood using twist & glue.

Step 3. Once the adhesive is dry, cut out the frame part of the wood with a craft knife. It's important that the adhesive be dry otherwise you risk tearing and bunching the paper. Trim around all the slotted openings. For a nice finished edge sand all the edges.


Step 4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 for the blue cardstock portions of the frame.


Step 5. Apply glue to acrylic pieces and adhere to project. Insert photo in frame, or if a gift apply rub on sentiment to frame.


I am LOVING the acrylics from one heart... one mind. The swirl adds a nice 'smokey' touch and I'm not sure it comes out well on the photo but the "drivers" window is also an acrylic shape (rounded rectangle with window cut out). The acrylic piece on the wheels really adds a great touch I think! Love that!


To adhere the acrylic swirl for the "smoke", I used UHU Creativ glue. It's VERY sticky and I'd had good results with foam before so I figured why not try it? I didn't think I had anything else that would work so it was an experiment! Dabbed a small dot on the top of the chimney stack and the side of the train, and held it temporarily in place for a few seconds. It stuck no problem! Plus the glue dries clear so you can't tell its there!



Have fun with your projects!

More soon!

Di

2 comments:

Janneke June 17, 2008 at 1:33 PM  

that is so stinkin' cute!!!

Anonymous,  June 17, 2008 at 10:00 PM  

Thanks for sharing!! Really a great idea.. I already got a photo frame from Greek Gear to gift my wife on her birthday.

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com