Are you ready for me to vlog?

Tuesday, September 16, 2008


Sunday Bob was browsing his usual techy sites and came across an ad for a camcorder on sale. In a fit of consumerism I bought one. We've been working without any major purchases so camcorder seemed like a great idea! We have a video camera but getting data off the tape and into the computer was apparently a chore and this takes memory cards. The reason for getting the cam? Well pretty much my parents are going to be limited now to UK vacations, due to my Moms health and with the price of airfares us going back to the UK isn't going to happen anytime soon and so the camcorder idea seemed a great visual way to keep in touch along with our phone chats, IM chats, emails and letters.

After the initial charging Sunday I was ready to go Monday and did a little recording (testing/playing), and just did another few minutes. I just played it back on the cam and discovered that:
  1. I talk in a REALLY funny voice to the dogs!
  2. I look a mess in the afternoons! Midday hot is not a good look for me! Also don't turn the camera on yourself when you are zoomed in at something else, close up of your nose is NOT a good thing!
  3. If people see these first vids they are gonna think I am crazy cos I have 15 minutes of dog/house/garden footage, and 15 seconds of me.
  4. I don't like how I look very much, moreso 'cos I look at the screen not at the lens. Seriously I don't have a nervous twitch, not that I'm aware of anyway!
  5. People are NOT gonna believe I am English as my accent is going and I am sounding more American everyday.
  6. Do I really talk like that? Why can't I have a nice girly voice? Oh yeah that's cos I'm not a girly girl!
  7. Our house is pretty dark, due to the fact the curtains/blinds are closed (so the house doesn't get too hot), remember to SWITCH THE DARN LIGHTS ON or open the blinds!
  8. Take footage of more than just the dogs, or my tomatoes!
  9. Not much happens around here on a daily basis.
  10. I have a long way to go before I start vlogging anything interesting!
Seriously though I hope to get some video tutorials and stuff done in the future once I stop doing the mad shaky thing, and maybe dig out the tripod. This baby has time lapse recording so that should be cool!

So yeah be prepared for me vlogging! Scary times ahead! lol!

4 comments:

Beverley Todd September 17, 2008 at 3:42 AM  

Oh dear! I had to record some tutorials - hate the way I sound too ... no girly voice for me either! LOL. I guess an American accent would be preferable to mine ... kinda 'mockney' with flat souf london vowels!!
Please stop reviewing things ... Last week I bought the printer that you reviewed! LOL

Made by Mandy September 17, 2008 at 4:51 AM  

This post really made me laugh!

I am from Leeds and when I hear myself talk I honestly don't think I sound the way I do. I have a completely Brummy accent most of the time and then every now and again a really Yorkshire bit comes out. PMSL As for voices, to me I think I speak really gruff but in reality I have the sweetest girly voice and I don't sound the way I think I do. If I get excited I get called squeaky as it can be a little high pitched!

Video tutorials would be good, really looking forward to seeing what you do.

Nancywithajones September 17, 2008 at 7:18 PM  

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMM Hold up. I would like to talk to you about a sentence in there I know you know the one.....
"People are NOT gonna believe I am English as my accent is going and I am sounding more American everyday."
BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ROFLMBO
TRUST ME DI... I THINK they may figure it out! UNLESSSS you start pickin up some of my BAMA Twang...
I talk to you pretty darn near often and You get on a roll there (or been on the phone with mom I always know when you have talked to the folks) ya... YA LOSE me.
(I KNOW THATS NOT TERRIBLY DIFFICULT THESE DAYS)
ANYWAY... I just had to choke I mean laugh. At that one.ANd I cant waiit for the first one

LOVE YA MEEEEAAANNNN ITTTT!

Anonymous,  September 20, 2008 at 1:05 PM  

Be careful when you open the blinds with the backlighting issues that can arise if the camera has to move around to capture the action and you can't be sure your light source will be behind you.

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com