A close call!

Thursday, May 24, 2007

I am going to admit something very bad today. All scrapbookers please sit down for this announcement: I Di Hickman do not back my photo's up to CDs. I know, I know, I hear you all shouting at me!!! Bad Di!!! Bad Scrapbooker!!! My only saving grace is that we DO back up to an external hardrive... which yesterday died.

All MY photo's are on my computer, along with pics from Bobs camera, but I hadn't copied his stuff for a month or two due to network issues, and well I wasn't totally 100% sure we had ALL the photo's now that the external drive had gone poof. I did have a slight panic thinking that if MY computer died they would all be gone, and that has prompted us to really THINK about backing up more regularly, onto MULTIPLE media. Not just relying on the external hardrive!
But then what would happen to the back-ups CDs should we have a fire. Yep they'd be in the safe but most likely hot! So we decided we need a removeable drive that Bob could back up and keep at work. So think about that! Where are your back-up photo's? No good if they are just in your house! Get them to another location too!

Now before you all go into a complete hissy fit at me, Bob did come to the rescue! With the aid of some recovery software and some patience, he beleives he's recovered everything off the drive. *big cheer*

So guess what I'm doing for the weekend? Yep someone pass the DVDs cos I'm headed to Back-Up City!

7 comments:

Anonymous,  May 24, 2007 at 4:11 PM  

Such a relief to see that your husband was able to recover things and a timely reminder.

I'm considering something different to back up my backups. It's called Carbonite and is a service that backs up over the web automatically. Definitely good for having a backup that won't suffer if something unthinkable happens in your home. You can find this at www.carbonite.com if you want to take a look. It's not free though.

Pearl May 24, 2007 at 5:02 PM  

Oh My Di - indeed great warning alarms going off there ! lol .....hmm double hmmm.....

Nancywithajones May 24, 2007 at 9:40 PM  

GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL I think you learned your lesson I wont fuss. IT has happend to me too girl. I back my stuff up now to dvd. AND I store my photos through walgreens too JUST IN CASE of natural disaster or hurricane or BELLA or whatever.. hehe
anyway.. IM SOOOOO glad you recovered them NOW BACK THEM UP!!!

Anonymous,  May 25, 2007 at 9:06 AM  

Hi there, sorry to intrude.
But i am kind of new at this blogging thing and was browsing around.
I really like your blog and was wondering what template do you use to have two sidebars on your blog. I can only see templates with only one side bar (either on left or right side and not on both side like yours?)
Can you help me? thanks
Sabrina

~Lana B.~ May 25, 2007 at 9:12 AM  

Flash drives girls! I have discovered flash drives. I take pix almost daily of my now 2 yr old daughter...that's a LOT of pix on my pc and it was running into a LOT of backup cd's. I now have ALL my pix backed up on two...yep just two flash drives. I bought the teeny tiny ones and each one is 2Gig. Every single pix on my pc is now backed up...not just the bazillion of the baby! WAY better than cd's...and easier too...just drag and drop!
GOOD LUCK and I'm glad you got your external drive recovered!!!
~Lana B.~

xashee's corner May 25, 2007 at 10:41 AM  

oh i am soo sorry to hear about your photo loss and really hope your hubby can retrieve them!
Bianca is right, i have been hearing and thinking about using this Carbonite thing myself, if we can afford it... it's like 50 bux a month i think!
Well, i will be organizing my stuff too this weekend in order to burn to dvds lol
have a safe & WONDERFUL holiday weekend, Di and thanks for all you do!!! :)

Paula J Atkinson May 26, 2007 at 4:27 AM  

Backing up is so boring & the experts are now telling us Cd's don't last as lifetime anymore but I am naughty & have most of my pics on the system. Every once in a while i do back them up but it is more tedious than ironing!!!

So glad you recovered yours. My Dad has an exteranl drive & even they aren't fool proof!

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com