Review: Doris Castle

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

This months digital sponsor at Treasures to Scrap is Doris Castle from Scrapbookgraphics. Doris Castle has a shabby distressed style which she manages to bring to every kit. I will admit that I was a little hesitant initially because it is something SO completely different to my own style, and I struggled with most of the kits because I am so NOT a shabby distressed scrapbooker. I got a variety of kits because I wanted to try some new things and knew that some would come in very handy this month with all the ATCs I'd be doing.

Specifically good for ATCs were the Artist trading card set, Belladonna and Mirabella. The distressed papers paired with the vintage embellishments and accents just begged for ATCs.




I realise I've already shared these this month but I really wanted to stress that these kits are AWESOME for ATCs. The vintage artwork used in the kits is just so beautiful.


I made this layout using the belladonna kit and it really reminds me of old K&Co papers. But with the twist of the notebook papers the kit really has a unique twist. The photo is of my Grandmother on her wedding day.
Doris Castle Belladonna kit; Doris Castle Template

I have to say one thing about Doris Castle's kits: her embellishements ROCK. Seriously fun mix of stuff. And the doodles in the "Exceptional kit" are.. well.. exceptional! This kit is full of funky papers and embellishments a total 180 to the vintage shabby look of the kits above, which proves she has something for everyone!

Two of my favorite kits though had to be the soft blues and cremes found in these kits: Original Divas and Windows of time. Such soft subtle colors that really let the photo shine!


I made this layout using the
above two kits, and the doodles in the exceptional kit. I love how all the kits can work together! This is also my first (maybe second) attempt at blending technique.
Doris Castle Original Diva kit, exceptional kit & windows of time kit

Another one of my favorites was the "You Complete Me" kit. Initially I got this again for the blues (noticing a blue trend here) and the jigsaw embellishments, but I really enjoyed this one because it worked so well for cards. I also liked the swirled ribbons.

Credits: You complete me kit by Doris Castle; font: SP Wonderful Wendy

In all yes there are some elements I personally won't use, I just don't know how, its not in my style to use them, but there are many many pieces that I will use over and over again. Especially from my top 3 kits: Windows of time, You Complete Me and Original Divas. One things I'm not too sure of is how the heck I missed her dog kit in her store? I would have DEFINATELY used that! Sheesh I think I go around with my eye closed sometimes.

If you want to see more kits and digital products from Doris Castle she has a store at scrapbookgraphics.com More work featuring her kits can be found at the Treasures to Scrap sponsor gallery: May - Doris Castle

5 comments:

Pearl May 22, 2007 at 8:00 PM  

these are all beautiful kits indeed , Di !

Anonymous,  May 23, 2007 at 10:10 AM  

I love Doris's work also. Just suits me somehow. Unfortunatly with NSD I have blown my budget for the next 3 months,so I have to admire from afar. The LOs done with here work are stunning. You do good work too. Thanks for the inspiration.

grambie May 23, 2007 at 11:02 AM  

I receive a newsletter from Doris & her work is so interesting. It is perfect for this type of design. The heritage look of the kit with the distressed colors & antiquities certainly aged your ATCs in the same manner. So nice to hear from you today.

Paula J Atkinson May 23, 2007 at 10:23 PM  

These are all gorgeous, how do you do it!!!
I adore vintage & the pale blues & vintage pics talk to me.

Anonymous,  May 24, 2007 at 11:00 PM  

Love the ATCs you made with the (oh dear, what was the name? I'll guess at it & you'll know) "goddesses In Every Woman" kit by Doris. Have seen some of your other ATCs and awas equally impressed/ Thanks for the tip on those 2 blue kits - that soft vintage look is my thing.

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com