Review: Kelley McDonald

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

This month at Treasures to Scrap is a busy digital one! We have two digital sponsors this month. Today I will do a review on Kelley McDonald, at Polka Dot Potato. Such a fun name! Well I'll admit this month I was slightly apprehensive as Kelley gave us specific kits to work with and sometimes that spells disaster for me. On this occasion however I needn't have worried! Kelley gave us four kits work with, and each one I could definitely see layout potential!

When Robin and I were chatting about the sponsors she said to me "did you SEE the kits yet", I admitted that at the time I hadn't looked and she told me I had to! See she knew that this kit:My Three Sons, had my favorite colors! Blue, green brown and orange. I have a kit in these colors back from last year that I still use, just one of those great go-to color combo's.


Well I opened the kit and had to use it immediately! I'm not sure if it's the colors or the patterns in this kit but I just love it! So far this is my favorite of the kits we got this month. This is one I know I'll go back to again and again.

Kelley McDonald "My Three Sons" kit; Vellum: Kim Johnson;

Kelley McDonald "My Three Sons" kit;

Initially Kelley sent us three kit, then towards the end of June she packed in this one: Angel Spirit. Those that know me know I don't do pink, so this one I thought would be tough, but it actually wasn't. I think the pink paired with the blue and tans really helped me to get through my initial shock of "oh no! pink!"


I initially did this layout for a contest but decided to pull out. One of those contests that runs a while and I just couldn't give it the time it needed. The kit came in handy though! Turns out to be my second favorite this month!

Edit: Being published in a mag sorry, check back soon!

Angel Spirit kit by Kelley McDonald; Swirls and journalling stamp by www.scrapkit.nl; Fonts: arial & Academy Engraved;

Third on my list was this kit called: Budding Friendship. Loved some of the papers and accents in this one. Not so keen on the doodles and flowers. I mean I love them, love all doodles, I just can't USE them. One of those things where it just doesn't mesh with my style. That said I still made 2 layouts with it!


One thing I loved in this kit was the stitched title accents. Like an embroidered word. Love that look! As you can see I had to use it on both layouts, lol!

Kelley McDonald "budding friendship" kit

Kelley McDonald "budding friendship" kit

One last kit I have yet to use is the Celebrate kit. I like it, especially the fun tickets but I'm struggling with it. Not as easy for me to work with as the other kits. I'm not giving up though! Definitely plan on using it, I just need to find the right photo's I guess?


In all I loved Kelley's work. I'd actually never seen her stuff before and it is something I will look for in the future. Love the papers, and her kits definitely have a great mix of accents.

I also learned a lot about my own digital scrapbooking, that I can go from layered to simple depending on the kit and photo, and I CAN work with pink! lol!

Also just a heads up. Kelley McDonald has a sale on at her store right now. I will mention that the "My Three Sons" kit is a BARGAIN at $2.40 right now!!! Not sure how long these sale prices are valid to go check it out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com