When is it time?

Sunday, September 2, 2007

I recently finished a marketing course aimed at scrapbookers/artists and one of the questions that really home to me was "when is it time to move on?" Now I'm not talking about closing the blog or anything don't panic, but the question for us was aimed at Design Teams, when is it time to move on? Now some teams have a finite set of months that you are set to work then your time is up, others you can be on forever, so when do you decide it's time to leave? Well for me, that time came last month. I made the decision that designing my own digital products was a conflict to be working for other designers, so I quit Shelle Pukas Creative team. I told Shelle I would see August through giving her a month to find a replacement should she want to. She was wonderful about it, and although sad to see me leave TOTALLY understood being a designer herself. So THANKS Shelle for the last 6 months, and to the whole team.

Anyway here are a few projects I did last month for Shelle's team.



Edited: Being published in New Zealand Magazine



One question I get asked over and over about the card sketches is the digi cards: "what do you do with them?"
Well the answers are many! Firstly the most natural thing is that you can save them as a jpg and email them to people. They can easily be personalized for the recipient. Usually I'd save as a small jpg, same as you would for uploading to websites etc.


Another thing you can do with the digi cards is print them! I'm not sure why traditional scrappers think this is a foreign concept but think about it, totally flat card which LOOKS like it has dimension! Here is the same card printed out onto flat white cardstock. Note how when printed they lose that 'artificial' digi look. Remember you could leave the sentiment off, and just stamp it on when you needed the card, that way it would work for many occasions!


And yes I usually do a sentiment inside and print it out. Think of the possibilities with this, you can totally personalize this to the card recipient. Or all the times you find a card verse you like, but just want to change one little bit? Digi is perfect for this!

Sorry for the blurry pic, one handed shots are not good!

Hope you try printing your own cards soon! Until tomorrow....

4 comments:

Anonymous,  September 2, 2007 at 11:13 AM  

You do fabulous work.
Love Your Blog

Inma September 2, 2007 at 1:19 PM  

I actually find more use to card templates than normal templates. It allows me to create personalised cards to send people by email or either post similar to the ones in the shop (flatter) but made by myself. It´s more personal and have a very professional look them as well. I actually love them because of them, and they do not stop being hand-craft. :)

Best wishes.:O)

Anonymous,  September 3, 2007 at 3:46 AM  

I have started to print my digi cards out too Di:) It's great to have a card at hand within minutes...especially if you forget someone's birthday or your mojo is deserting you :)

Anonymous,  September 7, 2007 at 6:49 AM  

I love love love LOVE your blog. yea! why don't we print our own card???? one common sense that is commonly forgotten.. (by people like me!). it's a click away, we can personalized it, it's cheap.. thank you!!! did I say that I love your blog?? :)

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com