Questions about sketches...

Sunday, September 2, 2007

about sketches. Seems I'm getting lots of emails on the same questions lately, so I'm reposting the FAQs from before, changing some answers and adding new questions and answers too. Then gonna put a link in the sidebar to the post :)

Do you allow people to be published with my sketches?
Yes! Submit away! But please acknowledge the sketch creator in the supply list. I realize that some mags don't publish this info but heck you did your part!

Are people being published with the sketches?
Again yes! You'll see I myself have been pulling work out and replacing with "out for publication" signs. I know of at least 2 people who will be in the June/July issue of Ready Set Create with layouts/cards made from my sketches! And I'd like to say PLEASE let me know if you're being published with my sketches! I LOVE to see them being used and would love to see them published!

I need more layout sketches, are you doing more layout sketches soon?
*Free layout sketch/template every month, on the 1st of the month. Occasionally there will be more a month but at least one every month.

Where do you get your ideas from?
Everywhere! My old layouts, cereal boxes, a logo or ad I see. It really can be anything. I might see a cluster of button embellishments in a magazine layout that makes me want to use buttons for a month it really depends on a lot of things! Especially my current fad that I'm going through be it stamping, buttons or ric-rac. Though I do try and offer different sizes, formats or styles each week.

How about sketches for 8.5 x 11 layouts?
*The digital layout template includes both 12x 12 and 8.5 x 11 layout sizes. I must remember to post BOTH sizes on the sketch upload day.

Do you start with the sketch first or the project first or the sketch?
Both! Something I sit and draw out tons of sketches, especially if I'm sick or waiting for something. Other times I'll just create lots of cards and take the sketches from the cards I've created.

Are you doing any more collaborations with other designers?
*If you have a rough sketch and you wanna hook up
email it to me! Usually I change it up a little depending on how balanced it is, then I'll make the digital template and send it out to the sketch girls. Even if you've made a card and you'd like to see it made into a sketch and featured on the blog, let me know. I'm open to inspiration!

What program do you use?
*I use photoshop CS3 but I first started basic sketches in Paint Shop Pro. Any drawing program will work for a basic flat image sketch (jpg), even sketching on some blank paper with a pencil and scanning it into the computer. For the digital template photoshop is awesome! I switched from Paint Shop Pro to Photoshop CS and although the learning curve was steep (they are a lot different!) I don't regret it one bit!

Do you sell digital layout templates?
*YES! You can see my templates for sale in my digital store. I sell them in packs of 6, and hope to continue adding to the inventory. I also sell 8.5 x 11 and 12x12 sets. Card template sets, brag books and more... coming soon

Are you going to offer more digital freebie kits?
Ah the burning question! Short answer: YES! The problem for me lies in the TIME factor. As I do everything: paper, digi, hybrid, cards, layouts etc time is an issue for me. I hope to offer some freebies though, every month, even if it's just a little mini kit, kit sample or something.


Can I use the sketches on a site for challenges/contests?

Yes, but I would appreciate a link back to the blog, and if you drop me an email I'd love to come check them out!
Please keep in mind that this is for SKETCHES (JPGs) only NOT the layered digital templates. Please don't link directly to the downloads, and don't copy and share the digital template this is against my TOU.

Do you create custom sketches for sites for contests etc?
Yes I do, again just drop me an
email, telling me where it's for, when you need it by etc. I can't guarantee I can always do these but if I'm not super busy then I don't mind at all!
Also, I am often available for Guest Design Team positions. Just
email me and we'll work something out. I try not to do GDT around Jan/July when I have CHA projects to work on, but other times I am open to discussion *wink*

Are you looking for sketch girls?
Not right now, but usually I add a couple of girls every 3 months or so as things change. I post the call in my newsletter and on my blog. Hopefully in the next month or so I will be hosting a call for a digital/hybrid design team, to work with my digital designs.

Ok did I miss anything? If I did then add a comment or email me and I'll update this post. Thanks!

*indicates new response.


4 comments:

Anonymous,  September 3, 2007 at 3:49 AM  

Great to know all this info Di and I'm glad you allow your sketches to be used for submissions. It's one of the questions I've been meaning to ask you but never quite got round to. Thanks :)

Unknown September 3, 2007 at 6:53 AM  

Great info Di! And now I know, lol.

Esther September 5, 2007 at 1:45 AM  

Thanks for answering some of those niggling questions we all wanted the answers to! I am a bit late but just adding my card from your last card sketch, thanks!

Sosa's Wife January 7, 2008 at 9:03 AM  

Wow! Cool Q&A... I did use one of your sketches for a monthly challenge... I posted a link on your blog, but it's also in the Scrap-Diner gallery! :) Again, thank you for all the wonderful freebies you offer and the cool digi templates!

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com