Get Well Soon Mom!

Friday, June 20, 2008

I don't do personal posts on the blog very often but I wanted to take time today to say "Get Well Soon" to my Mom. She had a little surgery today to create a cimino fistula in her left arm. This is in preparation for her going on dialysis. I guess I should say that she has Polycystic Kidney Disease, which is a hereditary condition. My grandfather had it, 3 of his 5 children have it, 2 of my cousins have it (3 more yet to be tested), and I have it.

My Mums kidney function dropped a lot recently and so the doctors are preparing her for end stage renal failure, and dialysis. She had the fistula done today, and
was also placed on the transplant list. The fistula just has to heal, then we wait till she loses 4 more percentage points of kidney function (she at 14% right now) before they place her on dialysis. From her recent track record, she's been losing approximately 1% every 4 - 6 weeks so we guesstimate around November time she'll be switched on. But even if its earlier she'll be ready :)

Get Well Soon, Luv ya!

hugs

Di

4 comments:

Beverley Todd June 20, 2008 at 4:29 PM  

Ohhh! Don't really know what to say. Hope your mum's recovery is smooth & swift ... & that she'll be well enough to bless us with her cards real soon
B x

Bunny B June 20, 2008 at 6:32 PM  

I really hope your mum will get well soon!!

Anonymous,  June 21, 2008 at 5:52 AM  

Thanks Di that was nice :-) and thanks to Beverly Todd and Bunny B i will still be making cards i cant stop that can i ;-) feel lots better today arm is still achy but there will be a bit of bruising from it, its buzzing away so thats the main thing so i know its working,Di sent me a nice good box last week girls so that has lifted my spirits but as much as it would seeing her, anyway thanks to all will be sending cards ok :-)

Anonymous,  June 21, 2008 at 7:24 PM  

Hello
So glad to hear that all went well today. I will keep you in my prayers. Sending a little angel your way ^i^

Sue ^i^

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com