one little word... 2009

Monday, February 2, 2009


For the last couple of years Ali Edwards has done a challenge to use one word as your life theme for the year. Past words for me included Focus and Change. This year I chose to use the word "Adapt".

adapt
–verb (used with object)
1. to make suitable to requirements or conditions; adjust or modify fittingly: They adapted themselves to the change quickly. He adapted the novel for movies.
–verb (used without object)

2. to adjust oneself to different conditions, environment, etc.: to adapt easily to all circumstances.

I've mentioned before that I don't handle changes very well. I like my routine, I like schedules and I like lists. Well I've decided to roll with the punches a bit more this year and adapt. I'm already learning to do this in some area's of my life. For example adapting my fitness routine when I got sick, or changed goals. I recently took on a position that means extra work, so I adapt.

One area I plan to adapt is to be a little more forgiving with myself and this blog. As much as I like to have the schedule of posting things on certain days it's another deadline I don't need and it's tough to fit everything into the schedule some months so I'm adapting. I'm calling a truce and maybe meeting the freestyle and schedule in some happy middle ground and adapting.

The major adapting this year will be my style. I am going to push myself which will be a major adaptation for me! I'd planned on creating 2 books this year, 1 for goals and 1 to document events. Instead I am adapting, I'm going more freestyle and creating something I can add to WHENEVER all year! It's loose leaf bound, and I'll be making scrapbook pages, but also just adding photo's, or brochures or just loose journaling sheets. It's a work in progress but I hope it can be something that will work for me as I like the concept, but the whole un-uniformity really digs into my clean/linear style, but I will adapt!

So that's my word for 2009, bit late declaring it on the blog, but here I am adapting :)

Di

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com