Dirtbiking in the desert - mini break

Monday, May 10, 2010

As a couple Bob and I have a lot of hobbies, I love fitness and exercise but also enjoy crafts like scrapbooking and cardmaking and Bob is more technically minded with electronics and his video game & pinball restoration but one hobby we love doing as a couple is dirtbiking! Bob has been riding bikes for quite some time now, and I am a recent convert to the dirt only been riding for 3 1/2 years. I got my first bike in December 1996 and have been hooked since. I still scare myself silly on occasion but I think that’s a good thing right?

Anyway we decided a few weeks ago that we needed a dirtbike break and so scheduled some time off work, loaded up the RV, rented a trailer and headed out Wednesday to the desert. We planned on going to Adelanto, specifically El Mirage the dry lake bed with some sand/dirt desert trails. We’d been there in November over thanksgiving with friends and loved it :) We packed up everything including the dogs and headed out mid afternoon.


The dogs travel pretty well in the RV, and slept most of the way there. It takes around 2 1/2 hours so it’s lucky for them that they can sleep. I took them out for a 20 minute walk before we headed off though so I am sure that helped! When we arrived at El Mirage, we got our weeks pass and headed to our usual camping spot on the lake bed. That’s when we really noticed the wind! Wow it was sure windy! No pics the first day cos we basically stayed in the RV!!! I walked the dogs reluctantly and about got blown away, gusts of 50+ mph!!! When it’s just desert with nothing to really break it up that wind got FIERCE! We didn’t even have the slide-out out on the RV cos the wind was so bad!

The second day was better! By lunch the wind had dropped considerably and we decided to try the bikes out. After a little run around on the flat lake bed we decided to hit the trails! Most of the trails around here are naturally sandy as it’s desert. Did I mention I hate riding in the sand? I have found that if you stand up though it’s much better! You still slip around and fish tail out, but it doesn’t feel as bad as sitting. We headed out eastwards towards the Shadow mountains. So beautiful!


When we got to the end of the trail we were on, I had a problem turning the bike around. I slip on sand, lost my footing and dropped the bike. Being as I workout with weights I can lift the bike now (220lbs!) but I had a problem getting it into neutral to move it so Bob came to help me that’s when he noticed that he’d lost the end of his exhaust! Somewhere along the trail his tail end of his exhaust and the spark arrestor had fallen off!!! We double backed along the trail we’d traveled on and luckily found the exhaust parts, but not the screws that held it in place!



The brush around here is so dry, it’s desert afterall, and there are strict laws for riding which includes mandatory spark arrestors to reduce the risk of fires. No spark arrestor = no ride. So Bobs ride for the week was over. We decided to call it a day but knew we’d have to cut our trip short, I don’t ride that well yet so going on trails alone is NOT an option, plus the whole reason for the trip was to ride together, ah well! We decided to stay the night so we decided to break out the beer and relax


then we fired up the BBQ



The dogs were enjoying themselves anyway






We’d decided to sit around the “wrong” side of the RV, as it wasn’t so windy this side. The wind had dropped considerably but we still had gusts.


The sunset was beautiful!



Friday morning I was up early as usual and took the dogs for their morning walk. When we’re out in the desert I set my iPhone timer for 10-15 mins then when it goes off we turn around and head back to the RV. Gives them a good walk and I really enjoy the scenery



When I got back to the RV, we had breakfast then I got geared up and headed out for a ride on the lake bed. I wouldn’t go on a trail on my own, but riding around on the lake bed is pretty safe. I got some riding experience in, practicing turns, stopping and pulling off etc. Still not as quick on the gears as I’d like but the more we ride the more comfortable I feel :)




Whilst I was out riding, Bob packed up mos the RV things. I came back, changed then walked the dogs and we packed up and headed home! Just the two rides I’d done had an impact and my shoulders were pretty sore all day Friday and into Saturday. Other than Riding and walking the dogs I didn’t workout. Definitely a change of pace. Looking forward to the next trip!

2 comments:

Anonymous,  May 12, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

I have your blog in my favourites and just love all your scrapbooking posts. I'm a very 'sooky' scrapbooker who wouldn't exercise to save herself. I was not just surprised but delighted this morning to come to the computer, after my 18year old son, and find your blog up and a post about dirt biking. I can't wait to ask whether he was snooping in my favourites or just reading "dirt bikers" blogs.
Uncanny!

Di Hickman May 12, 2010 at 3:15 PM  

heheeh too fun! I have an exercise blog too if you want to get motivated? www.dihickman.com/blog

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com