Studio Friday - 7 deadly sins

Friday, April 20, 2007

I am experiencing a RUSH of assignment deadlines right now. Need to get projects created scanned/photographed and submitted. I've been keeping a tally of how many things I created this year and the figures are amazing! Must get that together to share sometime! I put March's totals in my monthly round up, must update Jan + Feb. Just something fun to do as I want to see how many things I create for the year. I am almost releived that we won't be riding this weekend (its raining buckets at the moment!). This means I can get some things created at the weekend and get a head start. Naturally I chose this busy week to reorganise my patterned paper and make a start on organising my scraproom!

Anyway onto Studio friday! I missed last weeks due to deadlines etc so catching up on: week 4 - sloth:

The biggest factor in me getting things done is the computer, or more importantly being online. Had no internet Wednesday and I got lots acheived, seriously the computer though a technoligcal blessing is sometimes a downfall! I spend way too much time online! I know people have done days/weeks without the computer and I couldn't do that. Its an addiction. Last week I had no laptop all week, and I had a mixed reaction to that loss. On the one hand I had no way to surf during breakfast, or pop online after dinner (without booting up the pc, and dissapearing into my office). Yet I got much more done on paper. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. See the internet is my lifeline, it's how I communicate with family and friends in the UK, and my scrap buddies spread out through the world. It's how I blog, and submit work, and shop. Honestly I'd miss it terribly BUT I wish I weren't online so much. I remember back in England (back in the day) they did TV rental that took coins. Wouldn't that be good? A quarter for 30 mins of internet? Once your 30 minutes is up you gotta go DO stuff or put in another quarter. I'd either get stuff done, or cost myself a fortune!

Week 5 - wrath!
Wrath. Anger. Hatred. Prejudice. Discrimination. Not...good. How does it show up every now and then in your studio? Do you break things just because you are in its grip? Why? Do you smash your last creation and destroy it? How do you deal with it?
I've thought long and hard about this one and I have to say it. This industry sometimes SUCKS. There! Its out! I have many people I look up to in this industry, one of them recently has been a victim of hate it just makes my heart ache. I've been a victim myself, it sucks. When did it all get so competitive? Seriously are some designers so afraid of others talents that they'll step on anybody to get ahead? Where is the enjoyment in knowing you got that position by backstabbing someone else? When I first started in this publishing/DT thing I don't remember it being so bitchy, maybe I just wasn't tainted by it then? or chose to ignore it? I dunno, but its out there now, wish it weren't but it is.

How do I deal with it? I get out he emotions by venting to friends, or being here for them to vent. Creating helps (even if I don't post it online) especially art journalling. Chocolate and alcohol always helps... and remember... Karma!

2 comments:

grambie April 21, 2007 at 10:45 AM  

WOW, I know it hurt so let it all out so that you can feel better. There is an old saying, "It's not life that sucks, it's the people in it." So remember that what you have, God has given to you & no one, regardless of their envy, can take it away. Their lives are miserable & they want to see everyone else's life as miserable as theirs. So continue in your same vein, because you definitely will persevere. LOVE!! XOXOXOXOX

merete April 24, 2007 at 11:28 PM  

Thanks for the thought on internet and computers that "steals" time away from making art/ do the stuff one's have to do... I really have to look into that and see if I can do something real about it :-)

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com