Studio Friday - 7 deadly sins

Friday, April 27, 2007


This weeks prompt for Studio Friday continues the 7 Deadly Sins theme with #6 Envy.
What do you desire that you are lacking and someone else has? If you could have it would you really want it or is it just a notion? How come you want to have it? What can you do to still that desire so that there is no need to be envious of any thing or anybody?
I could go on another rant about this industry lately, and the total lack of respect for others that some people exhibit but I'd just be rehashing what I wrote last week. So instead I'll share a little of my story. in 2005 I got my first project picked up for publication (yep nearly 2 years ago!). I got the bug and got it bad. I wanted to get on a design team and so I applied, for lots! And I got turned down, for all of them. I got turned down for other publications too. I started to get envious of other designers getting published and getting design teams and didn't like that it was taking the joy out of my creating, so I took a break. This was back when I had blog #1. I stopped blogging too! I just kinda dissapeared from the scrap world for a while, I didn't even create really, bar a few birthday cards.
Then I got my joy back. I realised that I wasn't getting picked because someone else was better, because my work wasn't up to par, and honestly I realised I wasn't putting the time in needed to get better. So I put that time in! And guess what? it paid off! Literally weeks later I got another publication. Then a month or two later another publication and design teams. Since then I haven't looked back. Whilst I LOVE my design teams and resume of published work I do this because I LOVE to create! Once that joy goes its obvious in your work.
As is also evident I restarted the blog, cos I love to share. I love to promote other people (sketches) and will do my best to help anyone with advice, information etc. If you have a question I'll do my best to answer it, if I don't know the answer I probably know someone who does, lol!
So yes once upon a time the green eyed monster lived here, but I got over it! Moved forward and worked through it. I'm still working through it, its ongoing because I'm changing all the time, learning new things, going in different directions.
So how about you? Does the green eyed monster reside in you?

4 comments:

Rachel April 28, 2007 at 5:52 AM  

Amazing insight my sweets!!!! Very true!

MMMMMMMWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAA
Rach

Marcia April 28, 2007 at 7:48 AM  

oh, yeah, my monster is a t-rex! You're so right about focusing on the joy in your creativity. No sense wasting good energy on envy.

Anonymous,  April 28, 2007 at 7:39 PM  

isnt it interesting that when you try to give up doing art (of any kind) it is just impossible.

Pearl April 29, 2007 at 4:18 PM  

oOOO Di

Your thoughts are my sentiments exactly ! Not that I have been on many design teams for a start ! But yeah I do have a sense of the bitchiness of this industry from afar ! lol - I must say I "comfort" myself by telling myself I am a design team to myself ! lol - I create for my enjoyment first of all & it dont matter if things dont get picked up for publication etc 'cos - exactly - I dont even want to begin to lose the joy of creating ! lol

Enjoy ! Pearl

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com