Studio Friday - "Look Back"

Friday, July 13, 2007

This weeks Studio Friday topic is "Look Back" something I don't do that often but it's very good for us all to step back for a few minutes and ponder on our journey, whether personal or creative. Studio Friday has a great excerpt on their site, by Jamie Smart:
"The people who are happy and fulfilled measure their progress by comparing where they are against where they’ve come from. The people who are stressed and dissatisfied measure progress by comparing where they are against their ideals. Just think about that for a moment.
The happy, fulfilled people look at how far they’ve come.
The unhappy, dissatisfied people look at how far they have to go to reach an ideal. "
I have to say that I am one of the happy people. I measure my own success by how far I've come, both professionally and creatively. That's not to say I don't plan and make goals because I do, I firmly believe in goal setting. Although let's face it we all have bad days where we feel like everyone is getting all the breaks but us, usually for me that's when I'm going through other personal stuff or a creative block.

This last 6 months I can see a big change and I know my first layouts were VERY different to what I'm doing now. But in my own work I can see variation from day to day, week to week. I'm very emotion driven I think. If papers aren't working for me it shows, or if I'm not feeling 100% it also shows. Looking back to a little over a year ago, I had no Design Teams, only a couple of publications and had only dabbled in digital! What a difference a year makes huh? All from goal setting I might add, but I can look back and see the successes I've had and be happy, and know which direction(s) I want to forward in next.


So look back at your first layout or card and then to one you made recently... I bet they are WORLD's apart!

2 comments:

Sandie July 14, 2007 at 2:08 AM  

Gidday Di, these are "oh so true" words you have spoken.
You know it was only today that I was thinking of how far I have come creatively - when I think back to my very first cards they were very primitive - I sold one at my local playgroup - I was very proud. My style has changed a lot.

On a personal level - well I have grown heaps (inside and out) - the outside - well that has definately grown - outwards....LOL.
But the inside has grown to a person I am proud to be.

Thanks for these words - its nice to sit and reflect.

Luv Sandie (Australia)

Rachel July 14, 2007 at 6:09 AM  

Hi sweets..oh how I am looking forward to gettingcaught up on your blog.. I feel like I have missed so much!!!!

Hugs
Rach

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com