Blog Action Day

Monday, October 15, 2007

Bloggers Unite - Blog Action Day

Today is Blog Action Day. A day when bloggers will post about the environment in their own way and relating to their own blog topic, and I thought I'd join in. I'm not usually one for sharing much personal information cos I know you come here for the creative stuff, but I thought what a great idea to share information on how to reduce, reuse and recycle in the crafting industry.

I'm also NOT an acid-free scrapper. I use what I want in my projects, yep even on the photo's. Much of the reason for acid free products relates to processed photo's and I print from home. Plus I have back ups so I think I'm covered.

Reduce your stash, use your products! I am so guilty of having enough patterned paper to scrapbook for 5 lifetimes, yet I LOVE the new papers too. Each time you think about buying something, think! Is there something ALREADY in your stash that would work as well? Could you make it? As much as I love American Craft Thickers, I knew they were just die cut foam, and hello, I have a die cut machine and foam sheets, voila!

Stamps. One of the reasons I like stamps is that you can use,use, use... again and again. I think every scrapbooker should own at least SOME stamps, especially a good alphabet. Think of all the stickers (and money) you'll save!

Recycle. This can be done lots of ways. You CAN buy recycled patterned paper! Paper Trunk is the only one I know of so far that is made from recycled paper (and I've used it, it's awesome!). Also you can make your own. One thing I always do which is kinda recycling is I go through and purge my stash and give it to others (my mum, sister-in-law, friends). There are organizations (shelters, hospitals, childrens groups) that love supplies so make sure you check those out before you dump your old papers!

Re-use. Bob has his work colleagues collecting tins and containers for me to alter. Think about this when you are throwing things away, could you re-use it? I don't know if you've noticed but I am a very frugal scrapbooker, really I am. I hardly throw away ANY scraps unless they are teeny tiny. I love making cards with scraps, it's one of the reasons I think ALL scrapbookers should make cards, it uses all those little bits and pieces.

And because I apparently feel the need to post something, here is a card made with scraps. Everything is from my stash and scrap pile.

Cardstock: DCWV; Patterned Paper & WorldWin: Reminisce;
Rub-on: Joanns; Ribbon: Offray; Snowflake: Unknown;


So a challenge. What crafty things do YOU do to help the environment?


More cards coming tomorrow!

2 comments:

Made by Mandy October 17, 2007 at 6:29 AM  

I too save all my scraps an try to use those before I cut into another sheet of card. I get a lot of people to save their Christmas cards and some of them now do their birthday cards as well. I cut the fronts up for pretty embellishments and any sentiments that can be re-used. The backs if they are good quality can be used for matting, stamping on and die cutting.

I LURVE the coffee jars that Douwe Egberts coffee comes in and save those whenever the coffee is on special (not often unfortunately) These are great for small embellishments such as flowers.

My hubby thinks us card makers should stop making cards as they need to chop down more trees for all the paper we buy. I just remind him how much electricity all his stuff uses !, but I do think we can all as humans be irresponsible with the amount of waste we produce and should re-use and recycle wherever practical.

I suppose I've always been a bit of a hoarder, it can be hard to curb it from time to time but fortunately I have a little room of my own to keep it in, and if it cannot fit in there then it has to go !

michelle sturgeon October 17, 2007 at 10:46 AM  

Pringles cans and coffee cans are perfect for altering!

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com