Hybrid, starting with the digi

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Over the last few months I've talked about how to infuse your traditional scrapbook pages with hybrid elements. There are many ways to use digital elements in hybrid projects, but for this topic I am going to discuss ways to add traditional touches to your digital pages.

As someone who does traditional, digital, and hybrid, I love mixing all the different mediums. For me, digital pages are a quick and easy way to get a page done. Digital pages will always be easier for me, and they are definitely more 'error friendly' with Ctrl Z to erase mistakes. For my traditional pages, I like depth, and whilst there are some realistic elements in the digital world, I prefer the real thing.

There are many ways to add REAL elements to a flattened jpg, digital layout. Once printed you could add extra real stitching rather than digital, add real buttons rather than digital buttons, or brads, the list is endless as most digital elements mimic traditional supplies. Maybe you are even inspired to do a layout based on a traditional scrapbook embellishment and that is the basis of your digital page, adding the element after printing.

When I do these kinds of hybrid layouts from a digital page I first design the whole page in Photoshop, including the elements I will eventually replace. I will hide these elements before I print. In this layout I decided to hide the staples and buttons.

Supplies: Digital kit: Summer Fun by Shelle Pukas (www.designsbyshelle.com); Font: Wonderful Wendy.

Once I hid the layers and printed I had a flattened image, which I could embellish. I added real buttons, staples and handstitching.


I could have gone further and JUST printed the patterned paper and title, and added the pre-printed photos, and hand journaled, assembling the layout traditionally. There are just so many options when it comes to hybrid scrapbooking.

I hope this has inspired some of you digital scrapbookers to print and embellish your pages, and some of you traditional scrappers to dabble in the land of digital!

Copyright Di Hickman 2007, published in Scrapstreet.com Ezine November 2007

1 comments:

Shere December 15, 2007 at 4:37 PM  

Very nice. I really like how both pages turned out. I am still a little nervous to try the digital scrapping, but your lo gave me a new perspective on the something new. Off to try. Shere

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com