Tutorial Tuesday - card from a sketch

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

One of the comments I get a lot is "I can't use sketches" and "how do I use a sketch?" So I thought I'd show you my process for a traditional paper card (digital and hybrid step-by-step tutorials to come soon).

Step 1. Lets start with a sketch, I chose this one I made, back in 2007, as it's nice and simple and has lots of room for personal interpretation. Plus it fit perfectly with some patterned paper scraps I had from some recent projects. As soon as I saw the scrap of patterned paper this sketch immediately came to mind!


Step 2. Gather your supplies. For this card I needed: Cardstock for card base, cardstock for the card, patterned paper, stamp, ink (or in this case a brush marker), and adhesive.


Step 3. First thing I did was cut the beige cardstock to size (5.5" wide x 4.25" high) to cover the front of the card base. I had a scrap of the dark teal cardstock which I trimmed to 5.5" wide 1/2" inch high. The patterned paper was a scrap from another project, again just trimmed slightly. This one measured approximately 3.5" square.

As you can see I adhered the strip of cardstock UNDER the patterned paper. I did this because the stripes fell perfectly with the cardstock strip and I didn't want to cut into the design on the patterned paper. Nothing says you HAVE to stick to a sketch exactly... use them for inspiration!

Step 4. Next step was to stamp the smaller panel. I used a marker instead of ink as it was the closest thing I had to the cardstock colors. I stamped the sentiment 3 times and trimmed the cardstock.


Step 5. The last step is to mount the stamped panel onto the dark teal cardstock, and adhere to the card.

Finished card. You can also almost see a little finishing touch I do to some of my cards:I went around the patterned paper and card base with the same brush marker I used for stamping, just to give a little colored edge to the card, almost like you would with a direct to paper technique with an inkpad. Obviously I did the patterned paper BEFORE I adhered it to the card.

Supplies: Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned Paper: Best Creation; Stamp: Fiskars; Brush Marker: Unknown; Acrylic Block: Stampendous;

As usual, any questions just ask!

More tutorials coming soon!


Di

2 comments:

Allison Cope March 4, 2008 at 8:05 PM  

Beautiful card and awesome sketch Di!

Jane (Carroll's Creations) March 5, 2008 at 9:06 AM  

great tutorial, card and sketch

here's my version

jane x

http://carrollscreations.blogspot.com/2008/03/arty-girlz-challenge-24-di-hickman-blog.html

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com