Earth Day - Green Tutorial

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

If I had any clue how fast April was flying by I would have saved the initial GREEN tutorial for today but honestly I am feeling out of sorts lately. I have lost a whole month to flu and injuries, well really it's a little more than that but who's counting? (me). Anyway, today is Earth Day and as such I thought I'd bring another Green tutorial to the blog.

I've been scrapbooking since 2003. Back when I first started I didn't care what paper I bought, if it was cheap I bought it. I had no idea what my personal style was, or that such a thing as being published was possible for regular people. Anyway, when I did discover publishing, being on DTs etc. I quickly became aware that I needed a better storage solution. I'd read about the vertical storage of the cropper hoppers etc but honestly spending $$ on a storage solution was $$ that I'd rather spend on my paper (and thus adding to the problem!). So I came up with this:

Thrifty Vertical Paper Storage


Materials:
  • Used USPS Priority Mail Box
  • 12x12 sheet of patterned paper
  • Utility Knife
  • Marker Pen

Step 1. Save all your large priority mail boxes. Worth noting here that we are using USED boxes. Two reasons for this, 1) It's illegal to use the boxes for anything other than USPS mailing, and 2) Using new ones negates the whole point of the GREEN tutorial!!!

Step 2. Lay the sheet of paper on the box and draw a line. Doesn't have to be exact, just a guideline of where the TOP of the box needs to be. You could use a ruler at this point, but I am so not into measuring!


Step 3. Again you could get out the ruler but I just freehanded a diagonal line on one side. Flip the box over, and repeat. Ensuring the diagonal is on the same side! The take the utility knife and carefully cut through the box.


Step 4. You should end up with something like this, that you can store your papers in. Level on the top with the papers, and a slope opening at one side that you can flip through.


Step 5. Repeat with as many boxes as you have/need. As you can see mine aren't all the same depth on the diagonal cut but that's ok, the point is that this is TEMPORARY storage while I USE my stash!!! I used address labels to write on the paper manufacturers


Of course, you could pretty them up with patterned paper if you wanted, or use paints, stickers etc. Not sure if you can tell in the photo, but I also organized my paper alphabetically by manufacturer.

This system works for me. Initially I used the priority boxes as a "use what you have" storage solution. But I actually prefer it now. Afterall at $6.99 for ONE brand name plastic storage unit,
I estimate that I have saved more than $80!!! (yes incase you are doing the math I have TWELVE of these right now!), and more importantly saved the environment!

Do I wish I had one of those showcase scraprooms, with matching furniture and all pretty and organized? Sure, that'd be nice. But right now, this works plenty fine thanks! :)

More soon

hugs

Di

4 comments:

Carolyn Mcavoy April 22, 2008 at 7:27 PM  

I Love It...being new to scrappin...this will save big bucks....I also use my packageing you show on the ribbon ring...Thanks for Sharing your Idea's...It helps

Angela April 26, 2008 at 12:17 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela April 30, 2008 at 4:41 PM  

Thanks for the blog post Di! I had removed my orginal comment already, after noticing the USED requirement....my heart just stopped beating when I saw pics of the USPS boxes!

It's a great GREEN IDEA BTW!!

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com