Manufacturer Monday - Cosmo Cricket

Monday, April 14, 2008

When I was on kit/store design teams I used to challenge myself to use every last scrap of what I was sent each month. Since quitting those teams I've had to challenge myself, hence the Manufacturer Monday challenges each week. Every month I set myself one manufacturer to use and each Monday I share projects with their product.

This month I chose Cosmo Cricket. Simply for no other reason than I wanted to enter a contest to support my friends at Treasures to Scrap, and when I buy things now I tend to USE USE USE till its gone. So as it's new to me, rather than stash it I'm using it! What a concept! lol!

Enabler alert: Treasures to Scrap has an awesome offer on at 35% off discount (and thats ALL products in the paper store ALL the time! Including the new Cosmo Cricket, and Basic Grey lines).

Anyway their contest is to make a mini book with the blackboard albums and to use Cosmo Cricket papers etc. I bought the Cogsmo line (papers, die cuts, and ribbon) and the Jack album. I knew I was going to do an album about Bob so the whole thing fell together pretty easily, aside from the fact I was scrapping pretty much with one hand!


Firstly a not about the chipboard book. It's got that bracket shape to the ends that is HOT right now, but I am LOVING the fact that it's already black. It's also black through and through. I sanded the edges to check :)


In the Jack book you get 6 pieces. The front cover panel has an eyelet set in the hole, the other panels just have blank holes. At first I wasn't sure I liked this, I like cohesion to a project but I actually think it works.


One of the things about a small mini album is what to do about journaling? I mean I like big focal photo's so where was the journaling going to go? I did think about computer journaling onto strips but decided to go techniquey. I journaled using Cosmo Cricket paper (its solid on the reverse side) with my dymo labeler.


One of the things I make sure I do now when I buy products is to get the matching ribbon packs. I'm not one for fibres, so I don't buy those, but ribbons come in handy for lots of projects. Plus the colors match exactly which saves me inking, dying, or chalking ribbons to try and get them matching the papers better!


After completing each page, I went through and added all the penwork you can (barely) see. Just a line around the edges, enough to soften the edge and it ties the whole thing together nicely. (along with the dymo labeling and color scheme)


I'll admit that I haven't always been a fan of Cosmo Cricket papers, but since Dutch Girl, they've become less distressed and done some more modern patterns. They still have some heavily distressed stuff if that's your thing, but I am loving the brighter colors and patterns.


Of course I did a couple of journaling pages using the computer. Just printed out onto the solid side of the papers. This one is slightly offwhite. The solids are the same colors in the papers, each pattern having a different color solid on the reverse.


As you can see of all the papers the striped one was my favorite! I love stripes, and dots. I mean really ANYTHING goes with striped paper, you can never have too many striped or dotted paper!


My favorite ribbon out of the ribbon pack was this one with a denim look to it. It really went well with the papers and the photo's. That red stitch running through it really ties it in well with the papers too!


One thing I was concerned about was the bright colors in the papers competing with the photo's but I think it all works out nicely. The embellishments and penwork really help to draw attention away from the papers and bring the focus back on the photo's.


The die cut sheet had lots of embellishments on it to pop-out. From fun robots (to match the papers) to cogs, and geometric shapes. I really liked the layered die cuts that we're already mixed and matched with different colors.


Again with the journaling strips and die cuts I applied penwork around the edges. It really did help tie the whole album together. The nice thing too is that because of the fun look to the papers, it didn't have to be neat penwork. I did have to make myself let it be wobbly lines though, it's not in my nature.


More Cosmo Cricket projects coming throughout April!

Hopefully I'll get chance to pop back later tonight with the Friday Freebie winner. Posting this on the laptop as my video card is acting all weird, and despite my attempts at Computer surgery it still isn't working properly. So fingers crossed Bob gets it working tonight! Being without my 'puter is NOT FUN!

Hugs


Di

7 comments:

Michelle April 14, 2008 at 4:35 PM  

What a great project. I love it!

Mrs Frizz April 14, 2008 at 11:32 PM  

Absolutely adorable ... love it all. Those papers are gorgeous.

Anonymous,  April 15, 2008 at 7:01 AM  

LOVE it!!! that pp is awesome! I am definitely making one of these!

Renee' Morris-Dezember April 15, 2008 at 7:42 AM  

Di I LOVE this project - Super Job - me and my hubby met 17 years ago and have been married 10 years ago this yr too!

Unknown April 15, 2008 at 11:38 AM  

DI!!! this is amazing!!!!!

Anonymous,  April 15, 2008 at 2:44 PM  

Gorgeous project there Di. Only problem is, you've made me NEED that new cosmo range NOW. I mean I'm only a gazillion dollars over budget this month, what's the problem??! LOL

Chriss Rollins April 16, 2008 at 8:59 AM  

FAB FAB FAB thanx for sharing this i love it in the black.
love black cardstock sooooo much
chriss x

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com