Tutorial Tues - Stretching supplies

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

With gas approaching $4.00 here in Southern California, and high in other parts of the US, I think we're all feeling the need to penny pinch. So I guess these GREEN tutorials came at the right time huh? This is the third in the series of recycling, reusing and re-purposing our scrap supplies.

Stretching Supplies to save $$

This week I thought I'd mention how I save a few pennies by using the contact sheets that come with paper packs. These come with all paper kits, or packs. A contact sheet is just the front sheet of the pack, that has miniature versions of the sheets of patterned patterned paper printed on it (many manufacturers do this with their kits, Cosmo Cricket, Basic Grey etc). So rather than just throw them straight into the recycle, USE them!


All you need to do is take your paper trimmer, or ruler/craft knife and trim out the peices. Usually these are square but sometimes you'll get rectangles.


All you need to do then, is use them on a project. They work great for color blocked layouts, borders, or cards! Cards work especially well as the patterns are reduced so they can kinda get lost on a big area like a layout. I find this sketch works especially well, and this one too. As you can see below you can't tell its not the the 'real' paper.

Supplies: Papers: Cosmo Cricket; Stamp: Katie & Co; Ink: Clearsnap;

The rectangles under the birthday strip are all cut from the contact sheet squares! Just added So next time you go to put these sheets straight in the trash, cut out the squares and use them on a project!

Supplies: Cardstock: DCWV; Papers: Cosmo Cricket; Sentiment: Dymo label maker;

More soon

Di

8 comments:

Anonymous,  April 29, 2008 at 10:12 AM  

what a great idea! Thanks!

Jens Place in Space April 29, 2008 at 10:19 AM  

You are just to darn smart! Love this!

Made by Mandy April 29, 2008 at 1:41 PM  

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. I don't feel so much like a cheapskate now !

Pity us in the UK, it's about £1.10 per litre of fuel at the moment, apparently they are at the highest prices they have ever been.

Anonymous,  April 29, 2008 at 5:21 PM  

What a great idea!
Over here in Australia we are paying $1.50 ltr. Ouch.

Mrs Frizz April 30, 2008 at 2:43 AM  

$1.85 here in New Zealand at the mo ... ouch. Crazy ... crazy ... crazy!!!

What an absolutely fabbo idea ... I'm sold!!!

Angie C April 30, 2008 at 3:05 AM  

What a great idea Di - one of those obvious ones, but I wouldn't have thought of it LOL.

Gas prices are mad here in UK approx US $2.20 per litre or over US $10 per gallon

Beverley Todd April 30, 2008 at 3:37 AM  

LOL! I do this too Di - and use any li'l images from the barcode strips!

Fuel? I don't drive & trainers are getting cheaper every year! LOL.

Anonymous,  April 30, 2008 at 5:49 AM  

Yeah good tip Di, our fuel prices are at £5 a gallon at the moment so very dear and its going up too nearly $10 for your price ;-(

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com