Photo Friday

Friday, October 24, 2008

Last months challenge was to use the scene settings on your camera. I have to say that the scene settings that get used most on my camera are the macro and sport modes. I LOVE taking close up shots of objects, and sport mode is pretty much the only way I can get clear (non blurry) photo's of the dogs (works for kids too). Two macro photo's from me this week :) Told you I love macro shots! The one below is of a Mantis, and I have another of a spider , remote linked so don't look if you are squeamish!

Mantis - Di Hickman October 2008

Challenge for November: APERTURE!
We've explored the manual, we've used the scene settings now it's time to get into the buttons and switches! On my SLR there are the settings P (program/automatic), A (Aperture priority), S (Shutter Priority) and M (manual). Obviously we've done P - automatic mode a lot already, that's the problem! So we'll skip P, and move onto Aperture (dig out those manuals again!). Aperture is basically depth of field, when we decrease the aperture value to focus on an object close to us we get a photo with a blurred background. Increasing the aperture value gives you a longer focus range.

So the challenge is a two-fer to find the Aperture setting and USE it. I suggest getting some objects (toys, cups, pencils) and lining them up and practice focusing on the nearest and furthest objects. Then a take two shots from each aperture setting and compare.



Happy snapping!

Di


2 comments:

jo October 25, 2008 at 3:35 AM  

oh its such a stunning photo, jo

Anonymous,  October 25, 2008 at 5:17 AM  

Great photos Di!! I don't like spiders but that is an interesting looking one.

Michelle

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com