Scrapbooking behind the scenes

Friday, December 26, 2008

Ok firstly a disclaimer: I've been published sure and I've been on various design teams, but there are other scrappers who are published more than me, been on more design teams than me, and are more well known than me. I don't claim to know it all, but I've learned a lot during the last 3 1/2 years and I thought I'd share that with you. All I can share is what I've learned and my personal experiences.

My History

Back in 2003 I started scrapbooking after saying defiantly in 2001 that "I could never get into all that". I played around for a year or so trying different styles, techniques and then I discovered internet message boards for scrapbooking, and "the pub". It was early 2005 and I found that regular people could get their projects featured in magazines. I decided to make it my goal for 2005 to get something published in a magazine. I'd been submitting a few months when I got my first call back, a card request for CorrespondenceART magazine. After the initial jumping for joy on the request, there was more jumping for joy upon receiving the magazine and seeing my card published, I was hooked. Submitting became a regular thing.

During 2005 I also discovered a thing called Design Teams. Create things for a store/kit and they send you stuff for free? Sure sounds great! I applied to TONS of teams and didn't get anywhere. The old adage of "if at first you don't suceed, try and try again" was proving incorrect but I kept at it. Throughout this time I was still submitting and getting nowhere since my first publication, the lack of DT was also getting to me, maybe I was a one hit wonder? So I took some time off, re-evaluated what I was doing and approached things differently. Mid-December I began submitting to magazines again, and got a call back! I wasn't a one hit wonder! In 2006 I saw a post on 2peas asking for DT members for an online store, I applied and got a position. That same month I received a call back from Simple Scrapbooks asking for a layout, and I was asked to be a guest designer for another online store/kit club. I found that this is a common theme for me in the publishing industry: Long dry spells followed by a series of hits.

Since then I've switched teams, learned a LOT and gained so much personal experience through Design Teams, publications and writing. Over the next few weeks I plan to share that experience on my blog.
I plan on discussing things like being published (submitting, where to find calls, what happens, and what to expect), design teams (the different teams, how to get on a team, what to expect and the pro's cons of each), the highs and lows of the industry, and basically giving you all an insiders perspective of the industry.

So check back in January when I will be discussing Design Teams 101.
If you have questions just ask (email or in the comments), I always say there is no such thing as a stupid question

3 comments:

Mary December 27, 2008 at 12:30 AM  

Hi Di,

I really enjoyed reading your article. I was very lucky to be accepted to the very first DT I tried out for. I never tried out for another one since leaving them. As for being published I have been 4 times so far. I stopped submitting for awhile but will do so agin soon. I look forward to your next article.

Mary

Pearl December 27, 2008 at 9:19 AM  

What a great start to your New Year Blogging with the DT 101 topic ! LOL! always good to hear an insider view !

Here's wishing you more creative fun in 2009 !

Tasha December 28, 2008 at 2:58 AM  

Thanks so much for your topic. I look forward to reading it. I have been a full time homeschooling mom for years and I'm considering digital design. I was formerly in graphic design.

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com