Card a day - day 10 & News

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Most of you will know that lately I've been feeling a little BLAH with the whole scrapbooking industry, both digital and paper. I've had some opportunities come up over the last few years that I am so thankful for but it's one of those times in my life where my focus is changing. Magazines, manufacturers, sites and stores are closing right, left and center and the industry is really suffering. I toyed with the idea of opening my own card site (and still may I dunno, lol) but lately my interests have been taking a different direction, that is leading me back to this...

Me circa 1998

Some of you may know that when we lived in England I was a personal trainer and fitness instructor. At my peak I taught 25+ classes a week, teaching classes (aerobics, step, aqua, circuits etc) and PT clients. Now, all this was almost 10 years ago and I was younger and fitter but in December I decided to embark on a little training program to get back in shape THEN decide if I wanted to pursue it as a career again. I've since lost almost 20 lbs, I'm running 3x a week, lifting weights, I've got some ab definition back and have decided that I am going to at least retrain then decide if it's something I want to pursue. At least then I'll have the option. I doubt I'll be back to 25 classes a week, that was brutal, and in my late 30's probably not a great idea on the old bod'.

Now this means that over the next month or two I'll be re certifying in CPR/AED (course on 27th June) and a reinstatement package for my AFAA qualifications are in the mail as I write. So happy to discover that all I need to do is a home study exam to get my certifications renewed :) I have expired Personal Training, step and group fitness certificates and the one exam covers all 3 certificates! Yay! It is costing almost $300 but far better than taking all the courses from scratch again!

So what does this mean for my creative stuff and this blog? Well there will probably be more personal posts on the blog, more stuff about my fitness journey (which I've touched on a little already in the 101 in 1001 project), and obviously crafty stuff. Yep new card sketches will be back in July :) I did however decide to resign from the UHU gluers, and I'll be closing my A Cherry On Top Digital Store at the end of the month (sale on right now, check it out!). Basically I'm downsizing my teams and responsibilities so I can focus on the positions I have/want (right now that's Scrapbooking.com, Boxer and Digital Artist Magazine) and figure out what I want to do in the fitness world :) So bear with me over the next few months while I sort my life out, lol!


Meanwhile it's still "make a card a day" in June! I made this card yesterday. One of the problems with this kind of project is sometimes the sketch that day just doesn't mesh with how you are feeling or the products you want to use. I am DETERMINED to use up these HOTP scraps this month if it kills me, and they didn't really go with this sketch, but I MADE the suckers work. Not really sold on the card, but it goes into the cards for heroes pile :)

Supplies: Cardstock: DCWV; Papers & Brad: HOTP; Flower: Prima; Sanding block; Rub-on: Target;

For those joining in the card sketch a day here is todays card sketch that I'll be using :) Hopefully this one works better with the scraps I have :)



Di

6 comments:

Unknown June 10, 2009 at 1:43 PM  

Di, wishing you every good wish for you to follow your dreams!

Be happy darling!

x

Anonymous,  June 10, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

Wow!! Congrats on the great results in your training....I could stand to lose a few pounds myself....wanna pass on your secrets...lol good luck with you new life choices...can't wait to read more

Margaret Kane Ward June 11, 2009 at 4:11 AM  

More power to you!!! Best wishes on the recertifications -- sounds better than good luck, 'cause I don't think luck has anything to do with it. I'm a registered dietitian and I've always worked in my field and will NEVER let my registration lapse; too much hard work to get it in the first place. One nice thing about life -- we evolve and move through different places. I think sometimes we think that we get on a path and that's where we'll be in 10 or 15 years. You've got skills that you can sharpen up again and put to good use. I look forward to enjoying your reports on the journey.

Celeste B. June 11, 2009 at 5:33 AM  

Congrats on the weight loss and good luck with the certification tests.

Mrs. Nancy G June 11, 2009 at 8:56 AM  

I wish you the best no matter where your interests lead you. You are one talented lady.

:-)

Sincerely,
~Nancy

Mary June 11, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

Cogratulations on losing 20 pounds. I think it is wonderful that you will be going back to a career that is healthy and also helping others become healthy. I was a Aerobics Instructor part time when I was in my early 40's. Loved it!

Best wishes Dee.

Mary

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com