book review: 101 things

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

101 things to do before you turn 40 by Kristin McCracken

I got this book from the library on whim. Just browsing around one day and saw it popping out. The title immediately appealed to me because of my 101 things in 1001 days project which culminates in my 40th birthday, so this should be an ideal book right? Not really. I knew it was no novel but I did expect more. I knew I wasn't the target audience for this book when the first item on the agenda was "quit your book club". I haven't ever been in a book club, nor do I plan on it. "Make out with the best man" or "date a 25 yr old for the last time" isn't an option for me either, I don't think my husband would approve! "Eat the worm" referred to downing the worm in tequilla, well I hardly drink, and I never drink tequilla, it's vile, plus I'm vegetarian! The same reason I won't "Go fishing". The advise to "Musically upgrade" was a little out of date, advising to get your music on CDs, when it's more likely that digital format would be the upgrade of choice these days surely? But then I didn't look how old the book was so...

There were a few things in the book that I had already done and would totally agree on them being in there but it was interesting to see the authors perspective from an obvious single 30 something woman. If I were single, not a vegetarian, a smoker and not a fitness instructor there might be more things on the list I'd be interested in adding to my own 101 list.

Things I want to do from the book: "Build a nest egg" was sound advice and I really would like to "learn to scuba dive" also as a scrapbooker I am already on the way for "document your life". "Pierce something other than your ear" is something I have thought about, considering a belly button piercing, but I dunno.

I think basically the book is some fun (very) light reading, say if you were stuck in bed with flu for example (cough) and good for kick starting your own 101 list. Just don't expect many of the suggestions listed to be things you necessarily want to do yourself. Would I recommend it? Not really, just go online to the 101 in 1001 site and look at other peoples list for more information list suggestions.

1 comments:

jo October 28, 2009 at 12:21 PM  

Too late for me to make a "things to do before you're 40" list - I've only got 16b days to go LOL!!!

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com