been awol

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Apologies for going a little AWOL with the blog posts, things happened here that have turned our lives upside down! Over the last week one of our dogs, Sky, took ill. Last week she was eating grass, throwing up, diarrhea and then bloody diarrhea. Took her to the vets and they checked her over and put her on antibiotics. Then Monday night she started coughing… and over the next two days the coughing got worse. Thursday I canceled my morning run and took Sky to the vets, again. Upon investigation the vet heard the cough coming from deep in Sky’s lungs and wanted to do a chest x-ray so I left my baby there and came home to our other dog River (who was pretty upset and wouldn’t go for lunchtime walks without her playmate!). I called them for the results and the news wasn’t good. Sky has fluid on her lungs due to her heart being enlarged :( The vet diagnosed Congestive Heart Failure. Not the news I was hoping to hear, but we’ll deal with it. Sky sat another couple of hours at the vet whilst they did an EKG and bloodwork to check for any other underlying cause. In the late afternoon I took her home, a doped up sleepy dog now on medication for life.

Friday night she seemed to get over the anesthetic finally and perked up a little, and has gradually been getting back to her normal self. She is still coughing but it does seem a little better, and mostly in the evening/morning times or when she gets excited. Trying to tell her that her life is changing and she’ll have to calm down, but she isn’t listening, she’s always been the more active dog so this will be a life change for her! Needless to say my running/work schedule has been off the last few days. Hopefully I’ll get back on Schedule Monday :)

I’ll leave you with a photo of my little Sky

1 comments:

belle,  May 30, 2010 at 6:37 PM  

Poor little Sky. I hope she feels better with the medication.

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com