Friday Fashion: don't follow trends!

Friday, October 1, 2010

So fashion week in New York has been and gone and as I'm trying to get interested in girly stuff I figured I should at least look it up online. I just don't 'get it' though? Sure I get the designers showing off their latest designs but as for 'trends' to watch for the upcoming season.... really? who cares?

Much like my recent post on Maxi length making a comeback and wedge shoes being trendy for fall, now the stylists are telling us that high waisted, wide leg flared pants are coming back. Along with sheer fabrics, Gray/neutral colors (I am guessing gray is again the new black?) and Python print!

All I can say is don't follow trends to the "T". Why? Because then you'll look like every other fashion victim out there. Instead dress to suit your own shape! It took me a LONG time to learn this lesson, and many fashion disasters!

High-waisted wide legged flared pants are not going to look good on everyone (no matter what shoe you pair them with - apparently platforms are recommended). I know for a fact I personally cannot wear high-waisted. Not only do I hate the feel of it, but I look ridiculous! I can get away with the wide/flared pants  to a degree but shorter people probably couldn't.



I guess what I am saying is don't get caught up in the rush to dress in the current trends. Instead be selective, buy things you like and especially buy things you love. Choose aspects of the current trends to suit your shape and rock it! That's what I plan on doing. One size doesn't fit all, and one trend or fashion certainly doesn't either!

Coincidentally I recently bought some grey pants, black flared pants  (like above just not high waisted) and sheer tops... This was before I saw the 'trends' and this was all from thrift stores! 

However the python print? ... I think I'll pass!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com