Review: Epson RX680

Friday, January 11, 2008

I mentioned in a previous post that I got a new printer recently, and I said I'd review it for ya incase anyone was looking at purchasing a new printer. Well it's been a month now and I'm in love! With this... the Epson RX680.


Now I don't say this lightly because I loved my Canon printer, but this new Espon is a 3 in 1 and has all these features that I couldn't not give it a chance. Again though, I've had a 3 in 1 before, and previously thought that they tended to be 'jack of all trades, master of none'. Meaning they did manage to do all three things, but didn't do any of them of them well. The RX680 however, has changed all that, and I'm a convert!!!

Now you might ask yourself "Di, why wait a month to tell us about this fabulous new printer?" and I will reply: "because it takes time to test drive it properly!" I'm not saying it's complicated, because quite frankly if *I* can figure it out, anyone can use it. But it just does so much that I wanted to thoroughly test it, really put it through it's paces and to do that I needed time

So lets look at this baby shall we? It was a little bigger than my Canon but it did more stuff, so we'll let that slide. Got it hooked up, unwrapped the ink cartridges (all separate, which is something I look for now in a printer, I'll NEVER go back to those with the bulky all-in-one cartidges) shoved them in and away we went! Naturally I wasn't using it for the sake of using it, so I waited till the next day when I needed to photocopy something. Now we've not had a printer that photocopies for.. um... years, and BOY it's only now that I realize how much I missed it! I had just filled out an invoice for Boxer and needed to photocopy the sheet for my records. Normally this meant, scanning it in, opening photoshop, saving as a jpg and printing. Now I flip the lid, place the document to be copied on the bed and press a button! Plus is has all these nifty features, I've only really used the color and b/w copy feature at 100% but I love having that option! It's come in really handy the last month!

Naturally one of it's other jobs as a 3-in-1 is it scans. Now I have an OLD (and I mean OLD) canon flatbed scanner, which does it's job but it's noisy and past it's prime. I'll be honest here and say that I RARELY scan layouts anymore just because it's so much hassle. It doesn't scan properly, cut bits off, and is a pain to get the edges lined up. So when I did a layout recently for Boxer and it was late, and therefor a photo was out of the question, I decided to try the scanner. I was really happy with the results!


First up, the printer comes with it's own software, like most printers these days, and naturally I'd installed it, so upon clicking inport: Epson RX680 up popped the Epson Scan box. Which has so many options! You get a choice of auto, home or professional mode. The main differences I could see between home and professional were more dpi (professional mode gives you 9600 dpi option!!!), and in the home version the document type has lovely icons instead of just a drop down box. I opted for professional mode, I like more things available to click! And as you can see it scans beautifully! I think I'm converted BACK to scanning too!

Now naturally my biggest use for a printer, is: printing photo's! I have to say I almost exclusively print my photo's as home so I was eager to see how they turned out on the Epson. The photo's on the above layout were printed on the Espon RX680 using Espon glossy photo paper and the look AWESOME! The colors are perfect and the quality is SO CLEAR!!! By far the best I've seen from a home printer (and I've used a few!).

So far I am VERY impressed and I'm still 'testing'!! I've have yet to use the CD printing, yes this sucker prints onto CDs/DVDs!!! But I have a project coming up that requires that so I'll be doing that then, and will review the printer further. Also, I have some future secret projects to share that I've used the printer on, so I'll be mentioning the printer a lot over the coming weeks so you can see the print quality.

In all, if you're looking for a printer I THOROUGHLY recommend this one! Understand that I really DON'T say this lightly. I was a total "Canon all the way gal" before I got this one, and it's changed my view completely. What's more it gets the "husband seal of approval" too! Something about it having bluetooth capabilities and other 'techy' things. What could Epson do to make it better? Hmmm, drop the prices on the 12x12 printers... would be a great start! HAHHAHA ok seriously, not much. It has everything I need: scans, photocopies, prints beautifully, and borderless too. There really isn't anything else they could add, it does it all and it does it all very well.

More projects coming soon with the Espon RX680 so stay tuned!!!

Di

13 comments:

Nancywithajones January 11, 2008 at 2:59 PM  

wow that is awesome girl. I have never tried the 3 in ones because I was scared if one messed up then the whole thing is a bust. I may ahve to give this one a whirl. I have an epson 1280 and get frustrated but your photos look so clear.

Unknown January 12, 2008 at 9:27 AM  

My neighbor has this computer and loves it. He has done Cd's with it and let me tell you, you are going to love it !!!!
I want one LOL
thanks for the testing and letting us know about it.

Deborah January 12, 2008 at 3:55 PM  

I just found your blog - thanks for this review! I have an older 3-in-1, and I'm having issues with the scanning and the photo printing on mine is horrible. I'm really in the market for a new one!

Sosa's Wife January 13, 2008 at 7:24 AM  

Wow! Can you say amazing?? I can not believe that photo was scanned in from your original! I'm googling it right now to see what other features it comes with. I was considering the new HP 12x12; now at least I have another option. I am no good at "stitching" a LO together, and you're right, it always gets cut off and ends up being 11.25 inch LO! Thanks for the review!
Elise

Rob I January 14, 2008 at 12:40 AM  

Thanks Di for this review. I have been looking at the printers but a lot of salesmen don't know much about them. Prior to Christmas I looked at the epsons 3 in 1 but wasn't too sure whether the print quality was going to be compromised due to the added features. My 17 year old daughter is just starting a graphics design course so between us I think we will get our money's worth..Thanks
Robyn from Australia

Anonymous,  April 20, 2008 at 10:23 AM  

Thanks for the review. I need to replace my RX600 because the LCD screen has failed. This, screen failure, was a common problem w/ the RX600. I hope Epson has corrected the problem w/ the RX680. Yes, scanning is a big feature on the Epson printers - the RX600 made beautiful prints from scanned slides and negatives, too.

Anonymous,  May 19, 2008 at 6:00 PM  

I recently installed a new RX 680 and was satisfied in all respects except for the noise and shaking when it started to print. Anyone else have this issue?
Thanks.
Bob

Spot-On May 19, 2008 at 6:04 PM  

Hi Bob,
I haven't had any noise or shaking when printing. Sorry can't help you there.
I keep meaning to do an update on this printer, as it's been a while!

Di

Anonymous,  May 19, 2008 at 6:58 PM  

Di,
I didn't tell the whole story. This is my second RX680. I complained to Epson about the noise and shaking after using the first one about a week. They agreed to replace it with a new unit and I am now having the same issue with the replacment.
Bob

Spot-On May 19, 2008 at 7:05 PM  

weird, I've had nothing but good things with the Epson. I've had mine since December with no problems. (touch wood)
I have actually JUST had to replace 2 ink cartridges today, which isn't bad for 6 months of printing.

Unknown July 28, 2008 at 1:56 AM  

Hi All!!
you must be happy about getting that spanking new printer,
but before you start shooting off prints, it would be a
good idea to run a few maintenance tests first. All
printers comes with basic maintenance tests like
cartridge aligning and nozzle checking, which can
be found under printer properties. It would take only
a couple of minutes to do these checks, and once done,
you can be sure that you will get optimum quality prints.


sam brown
Epson T060

Anonymous,  September 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM  

I bought the RX 680 last week when my Epson Photo Stylus that I've really loved, just stopped printing black and yellow. No warning, no fix. The RX 680 is nice, but it does shake a lot and recently started jamming paper all the time. Epson agreed to send me a new one without much debate. What's up with that? Are they really that customer friendly?

jpowell30,  September 29, 2009 at 5:08 PM  

just to let u all know u can get a continuous ink system that allows more ink and u don't have to buy those expensive ink cartridges. U can buy them off ebay for less than the cost of new ink cartidages. I have used them for 2 years with no problems the ink tanks hold 1200ml of ink and they are easy to refill. Thanks for all of your reviews and you might want to give it a look

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for coming to my blog! I love getting comments and read each one. If you'd rather email me instead please contact me at: dihickmanblog@gmail.com